Closing date for applications: July 19, 2019
ABOUT THE BRC:
The BRC is the leading trade association for the UK retail industry.
Retail is an exciting, dynamic and diverse industry. It is a driving force in our economy, and the UK’s largest private sector employer. Retailers touch the lives of millions of people every day, supporting vibrant communities where they operate.
The industry is going through a period of unprecedented change as technology transforms how people shop, at the same time as business rates and other public policy costs are rising, threatening the existence of household names in the industry.
The BRC’s purpose is to make a positive difference to the industry and the customers it serves, today and in the future. This means ensuring that the industry thrives through this period of change and it is a positive reinvention.
Corporate Affairs Team
The BRC’s corporate affairs team tells the story of this transformation in retail. Our role is twofold:
- To protect & promote the reputation of the industry: ensuring that stakeholders understand the transformation in the industry and how retailers are adapting to be fit for the future; building awareness of corporate responsibility initiatives across the industry and the positive impact on society they create; protecting brands of member companies through effective management of high profile media issues.
- Using our expertise and influence to shape a policy environment that will allow retail businesses to thrive in the future.
We have a number of priority campaign areas: Brexit, skills, plastics and waste, business rates, nutrition, and crime.
We are a small, very busy and highly motivated team and we are looking for two new people to join us.
- Media & Stakeholder Relations Executive
- Media & Digital Relations Executive
Both roles will work fluidly alongside the Media Relations Advisor to ensure that the corporate affairs agenda is effectively communicated with journalists, members and the public. You will be motivated, proactive, comfortable working on a variety of tasks, and eager to support the whole corporate affairs team.
Reporting to the Media Relations Advisor, you will:
- Raise the BRC’s profile, credibility and influence with key internal, member and external stakeholder groups.
- Develop and execute an effective social media strategy to raise the reputation and to develop a narrative of success of the BRC and how it works to support the industry and our members. This includes the use of both organic and paid social media.
- Using social media to support the monitoring of key stakeholders and find opportunities to put forward the BRC’s key messages.
- Support the communications team manage the day-to-day media relations activities of the Corporate Affairs team, ensuring timely, salient responses to media enquiries, help with the monitoring, journalist management and press releases.
- Support the communications team in developing productive and trusted relationships with BRC member press office teams.
- Support the communications team handle reputational risks to the BRC and its members.
- Supporting the Corporate Affairs Team to develop and maintain a proactive communications grid enabling it to coordinate all of its external communications and stakeholder influencing efforts to maximum effect.
- Take part in the Corporate Affairs team on-call rota for out-of-hours member, media and stakeholder contact. This means responding to media and other calls during evenings, weekends, bank holidays and when the office is closed for the Christmas and New Year holiday
Skills & Knowledge
The ideal role holder will be:
- A superb communicator verbally and visually, with a strong feel for original storytelling and developing compelling and creative narratives
- A reliably ‘can-do’ individual with a passion for news and current affairs, agile and willing to make news happen
- A strong, creative writer with a strong grasp of English style and grammar and an ability to flex that style for different audiences
- Able to demonstrate experience of operating in a multichannel communications environment
- Have at least 12 months experience of working in media, press, PR or digital content.
- An organised, efficient co-ordinator of multiple activities and tasks, with the ability to remain calm and professional under pressure
- A trusted and pro-active team player, supporting team colleagues in driving a culture of constant improvement
- A strong grasp of digital and social media
The five core competencies essential to successful delivery of the role remit:
Creating an environment, with appropriate structure and discipline, that promotes two-way communication within and outside own area of responsibility
PLANNING & ORGANISING
Delivering against short, medium and longer term priorities; taking accountability for delivering against personal objectives
IMPACT AND INFLUENCE
Influencing others through a combination of personal impact, gravitas, knowledge and experience
Willingly sharing knowledge and information with colleagues and working collaboratively with them to achieve personal, team and organisation goals
FLEXIBILITY & ADAPTABILITY
Demonstrating the ability to change and adapt personal behaviours or work processes to accommodate the changing needs of the organisation.
Our values represent the spirit and ethos of our business. They drive actions and behaviours and encompass how we go about our engaging with each other:
WELCOMING - We are open, approachable, respectful and responsive.
COLLABORATIVE - We communicate openly and work together effectively with members and colleagues.
PASSIONATE - We are proud to represent the retail industry and consistently strive to improve.
VISIONARY - We look forward, adapt, and continually seek new opportunities and ideas.
TRUSTED - We constantly deliver value to our industry and make things happen in the right way.
SALARY & PACKAGE:
- Competitive base salary, plus attractive benefits package.
- This is a permanent, full time position (35 hours per week), based at our head office in London Bridge.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send your CV and covering letter, stating your current salary and notice period to Jenna Coburn, HR Advisor, at email: email@example.com
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 19th July 2019. We will be progressing with interviews with suitable candidates ahead of this closing date.
For external applicants: if you have not received any feedback within 14 days of your application, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion. May we thank you for your interest and wish you every success in your ongoing job search.