Closing date for applications: March 05, 2021
ABOUT THE BRC:
The BRC is the leading trade association for the UK retail industry.
Retail is an exciting, dynamic and diverse industry. It is a driving force in our economy, and the UK’s largest private sector employer. Retailers touch the lives of millions of people every day, supporting vibrant communities where they operate.
The industry is going through a turbulent period. Covid has changed the industry – forcing tens of thousands of shops to close and reopen during the past 12 months. This comes in the midst of a longer term change, as technology transforms how people shop.
The BRC’s purpose is to make a positive difference to the industry and the customers it serves, today and in the future. This means ensuring that the industry thrives through this period of change and it is a positive reinvention.
The Corporate Affairs Team
The BRC’s corporate affairs team tells the story of this transformation in retail. Our role with the BRC is twofold:
- To protect & promote the reputation of the industry: ensuring that stakeholders understand the transformation in the industry and how retailers are adapting to be fit for the future; building awareness of corporate responsibility initiatives across the industry and the positive impact on society they create; protecting brands of member companies through effective management of high profile media issues.
- Using our expertise and influence to shape a policy environment that will allow retail businesses to thrive in the future.
We have a number of priority campaign areas: Brexit, sustainability, business rates, skills, nutrition, and crime. Our communications team (three, including this position) sits within a very busy and highly motivated Corporate Affairs team.
The Communications Executive - Digital & Media role will work fluidly alongside the Media Relations Advisor and Communications Executive - Media & Stakeholder to ensure that the corporate affairs agenda is effectively communicated with journalists, members and the public. You will be motivated, proactive, comfortable working on a variety of tasks, and eager to support the whole corporate affairs team.
This role will initially be 100% remote, until the new office opens (mid-2021) and can be used safely in light of the coronavirus pandemic. Once office working returns, there will remain flexibility to work from home in agreement with your manager.
Reporting to the Media Relations Advisor, you will:
- Raise the BRC’s profile, credibility and influence with key internal, member and external stakeholder groups.
- Lead on the development, execution and monitoring of an effective social media strategy to raise the reputation and to develop a narrative of success of the BRC and how it works to support the industry and our members. This includes the use of both organic and paid social media.
- Use social media to support the monitoring of key stakeholders and find opportunities to put forward the BRC’s key messages.
- Plan, create and distribute video content and graphics for use on website and social media, working with our graphics designer.
- Work as part of the communications team to manage the day-to-day media relations activities of the Corporate Affairs team, ensuring timely, salient responses to media enquiries, help with the monitoring, journalist management and press releases.
- Write speech notes and media briefings ahead of external events for the Chief Executive.
- Supporting the Corporate Affairs Team to develop and maintain a proactive communications plan, enabling it to coordinate all of its external communications and stakeholder influencing efforts to maximum effect.
- Take part in the Corporate Affairs team on-call rota for out-of-hours member, media and stakeholder contact. This means responding to media and other calls during evenings, weekends, bank holidays and when the office is closed for the Christmas and New Year holiday.
Skills & Knowledge
The ideal role holder will be:
- A superb communicator verbally and visually, with a strong feel for original storytelling and developing compelling and creative narratives
- Someone with a passion for politics and current affairs, with a ‘can-do’ attitude to make news happen
- A strong, creative writer with a strong grasp of English style and grammar and an ability to flex that style for different audiences
- Able to demonstrate experience of operating in a multichannel communications environment
- Have experience of working in media, press, PR or digital content.
- An organised, efficient co-ordinator of multiple activities and tasks, with the ability to remain calm and professional under pressure
- A trusted and pro-active team player, supporting team colleagues in driving a culture of constant improvement
- A strong grasp of digital and social media
The five core competencies essential to successful delivery of the role remit:
Creating an environment, with appropriate structure and discipline, that promotes two-way communication within and outside own area of responsibility
PLANNING & ORGANISING
Delivering against short, medium and longer term priorities; taking accountability for delivering against personal objectives
IMPACT AND INFLUENCE
Influencing others through a combination of personal impact, gravitas, knowledge and experience
Willingly sharing knowledge and information with colleagues and working collaboratively with them to achieve personal, team and organisation goals
FLEXIBILITY & ADAPTABILITY
Demonstrating the ability to change and adapt personal behaviours or work processes to accommodate the changing needs of the organisation.
Our values represent the spirit and ethos of our business. They drive actions and behaviours and encompass how we go about our engaging with each other:
WELCOMING - We are open, approachable, respectful and responsive.
COLLABORATIVE - We communicate openly and work together effectively with members and colleagues.
PASSIONATE - We are proud to represent the retail industry and consistently strive to improve.
VISIONARY - We look forward, adapt, and continually seek new opportunities and ideas.
TRUSTED - We constantly deliver value to our industry and make things happen in the right way.
SALARY & PACKAGE:
- Competitive base salary, plus attractive benefits package.
- This is a permanent, full time position (35 hours per week), based at our head office in London Bridge.
HOW TO APPLY:
To be considered for this role please submit your CV and a covering letter, demonstrating why you want the role and why you think you would be a suitable candidate, to Charlotte Hughes via email@example.com
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 5th March 2021. We will be progressing with interviews with suitable candidates ahead of this closing date.
For external applicants: if you have not received any feedback within 14 days of your application, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion. May we thank you for your interest and wish you every success in your ongoing job search.