Closing date for applications: September 01, 2022
About Our Graduate Training Programme – September/October 2022 start
This is a unique opportunity to be one of two people on our Graduate Programme, joining our 50 person BRC team that punches way above its weight in terms of industry impact and voice in the media and more widely. From day one, you will become part of the team and see first-hand what it’s like to work for the go-to trade association to the retail industry.
At a glance:
This is a full-time fixed term contract over 2 years and we anticipate that that we will offer you a permanent role at the end of the programme. Over the 2 years we will challenge and support you to grow professionally and personally. You will receive on the job training through rotations with our Policy and Corporate Affairs teams, where you will gain skills and experience in understanding the importance of policy development, influence, stakeholder management and the media. And more widely and understanding of industry critical issues such as climate change and how businesses are seeking to tackle them.
You will be sponsored by an executive director of the BRC and have a quarterly development review with our HR team, to check in on your learning and receive feedback on your performance.
You will gain experience in:
Corporate Affairs and Communications
- Understanding the retail market and the importance of influencing political decision making for the industry.
- Raising profile, credibility and influence of industry priorities with key political audiences by developing delivering effective integrated
- How to collect political intelligence, develop contact programmes and work with key stakeholders (members, politicians, government officials and other stakeholders) to deliver against campaign objectives.
- External communications: Preparing briefings for political meetings, letters to politicians, responding to media calls, using digital and social media channels.
- How to communicate to a high standard, using a professional style, tone and language, with an ability to make complex subjects accessible to broad audiences.
Government and Policy
- Policy development and Government engagement, analysing legislation and regulation to assess retail priorities.
- Developing policy documents and submissions in response to government consultations.
- Working closely with members to gather insight and evidence as well as how to share wider industry insight and evidence with them.
- Supporting engagement with government teams on key issues.
Company Liaison and Support
- Developing effective networks with key retail representatives from across the membership.
- Supporting delivery of BRC Change Programmes, focused on our Climate Roadmap, Diversity and Inclusion Charter and Digital Transformation.
- Developing relationships with potential associate members and other partners.
- Driving and delivering collaborative forums that facilitate and enable learning, share best practice and drive change.
We’re looking for graduates who are enthusiastic to learn and be a contributing part of a team, acting with curiosity, courage, pride, purpose and ownership. And who have:
- You will have or be predicted to have 2:1 degree in any discipline.
- With a high level of personal and professional energy - you’ll have lots of drive and motivation too!
- Team spirit - we support each other, with all our strengths and differences, to succeed.
- A forward-thinking mind-set - bring along fresh ideas that can support our growth and evolution.
- Digitally fluent, with strong communications skills and an ability to influence.
You may be interested in the following:
Communications, Public Affairs, Press Office and Media Management, PR, Political Lobbying, Public Campaign, Trade Association, Marketing.
What’s in it for you
- Planned training and investment in your development – in both technical and management development skills.
- Mentoring, feedback and learning through your support network.
- Valuable experience working in one of the most important industries in the UK.
- Flexible working in a fast-paced environment, with flexible start and finish times around our core hours of 10am to 4pm. Our hybrid ways of working policy means that you have the choice to work from home or in the office depending on the job in-hand.
- A competitive starting salary of £24,000 to £26,500 per annum with annual reviews and a generous day-one access benefits package, including Private Healthcare, Dental Plan, Pension, Medicash, interest-free travel loan, and salary-sacrifice schemes.
The BRC encourages applications from all backgrounds and communities and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our team. If you would like to discuss any accessibility requirements for the recruitment process or the role, please let us know and we will be happy to discuss.
About the BRC
Retail is an exciting, dynamic and diverse industry. It is a driving force in our economy, a hotbed of innovation and the UK’s largest private sector employer. Retailers touch the lives of millions of people every day, supporting the vibrancy of the communities they operate in.
As the go-to trade association for UK retail businesses, the BRC’s purpose is to make a positive difference to the retail industry and the customers it serves, today and in the future. We tell the story of retail, work with our members to drive positive change and use our expertise and influence to create an economic and policy environment that enables retail businesses to thrive and consumers to benefit.
We do this in a way that delivers value back to our members, justifying their investment in the BRC. This membership comprises over 200 major retailers - whether operating physical stores, multichannel or pureplay online - plus thousands of smaller, independent retailers through smaller retail Trade Associations that are themselves members of BRC.
The industry is going through a period of profound change, with technology transforming how people shop, costs increasing, and growth in consumer spending slowing. We are committed to ensuring the industry thrives through this period of transformation.
Over the coming year, our ‘Today agenda’ will focus on the issues affecting the here and now as the fallout from the cost-of-living crisis and supply chain disruption continues. We will also be working on our collaborative ‘Change Programmes’. Our D&I Charter aims to improve senior level diversity across retail, our Climate Action Roadmap is galvanising and accelerating the industry’s commitment to deliver net zero by 2040 and developing digital capability is an objective for every retail business.
Our values represent the spirit and ethos of our business. They drive actions and behaviours and encompass how we go about our engaging with each other and our stakeholders:
WELCOMING: We are open, approachable, respectful and responsive
COLLABORATIVE: We communicate openly and work together effectively with members and colleagues
PASSIONATE: We are proud to represent the retail industry and consistently strive to improve
VISIONARY: We look forward, adapt, and continually seek new opportunities and ideas
TRUSTED: We constantly deliver value to our industry and make things happen in the right way
We Continually Provide Value Together
If you are interested in finding out more, or to apply please contact Charlotte Hughes, HR Advisor at HRteam@brc.org.uk with a copy of your CV and an outline of why you would like to be considered for this role.
The closing date for applications is 1 September 2022, however we may begin interviewing early so please don’t wait!
We endeavour to respond to every application, however, occasionally due to the number of applications we receive it may take us longer than we would originally hope to get back to you. If you have not heard from us within 14 days of the closing date, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful.