Closing date for applications: May 31, 2021
The Head of Commercial Partnerships will work within the membership, marketing and events team to identify, create and manage commercial relationships that provide a significant, sustainable income stream for the business. This has two facets: 1. Shaping and promoting the core Associate Membership offer, including business development, engagement, retention and securing support from BRC colleagues 2. Working with chosen partners on value-adding activities such as online content and both digital and physical events. In each case, the objective is to create win-win-wins; valuable exposure and positioning for partners, valuable insight and thought-leadership for retail members, and valuable income for BRC.
About the British Retail Consortium (BRC)
As the trade association for retail businesses, our purpose is to make a positive difference to the retail industry and the customers it serves, today and in the future.
We tell the story of retail, work with our members to drive positive change and use our expertise and influence to create an economic and policy environment that enables retail businesses to thrive and consumers to benefit.
We do this in a way that delivers value back to our members, justifying their investment in the BRC. This membership comprises over 170 major retailers - whether operating physical stores, multichannel or pureplay online - plus thousands of smaller, independent retailers through a number of niche retail Trade Associations that are themselves members of BRC. Our members deliver an estimated £180bn of retail sales and employ over 1.5 million employees.
Retail is an exciting, dynamic and diverse industry. It is a driving force in our economy, a hotbed of innovation and the UK’s largest private sector employer. Retailers touch the lives of millions of people every day, supporting the vibrancy of the communities they operate in. However, the industry is going through a period of profound change, with technology transforming how people shop, costs increasing, and growth in consumer spending slowing.
Retailing will continue to evolve and advance. Online retail will continue to grow as retailers invest in new emerging technologies; there will be fewer stores and those stores remaining will offer new experiences; there will be fewer, but better jobs and a career in retail in the future will be very different to today.
We are committed to ensuring the industry thrives through this period of transformation.
About the role:
The Head of Commercial Partnerships will work within the membership, marketing and events team to identify, create and manage commercial relationships that provide a significant, sustainable income stream for the business. This has two facets:
1. Shaping and promoting the core Associate Membership offer, including business development, engagement, retention and securing support from BRC colleagues
2. Working with chosen partners on value-adding activities such as online content and both digital and physical events. In each case, the objective is to create win-win-wins; valuable exposure and positioning for partners, valuable insight and thought-leadership for retail members, and valuable income for BRC.
The Head of Commercial Partnerships manages four direct reports: the Senior Partnerships Executive, the Content Manager, the Marketing Executive and Events Executive. All team members play a vital role in enabling the end-to-end development and delivery of partner activities.
This is permanent, full time role, reporting into the Director Membership.
The key accountabilities of this role are as follows:
- Own, deliver and evolve the Associate Membership and Commercial Partnership strategy to maximise income and profit for the BRC.
- Work with all parts of the business to identify and develop commercial opportunities
- Develop relationships with - and gain maximum value from - commercial partners, with a focus on building long-term partnership agreements.
- Build, nurture and prioritise pipeline of commercial opportunities.
- Lead and oversee the development and implementation of all commercial activities – through production, marketing and execution – ensuring outputs are thought-led, relevant and engaging for retail audience
- Ensure alignment with BRC priorities
- Lead and oversee the development and delivery of events that form part of partner packages
- Lead the planning and execution of BRC flagship events (Annual Lecture and Annual Dinner), which deliver up a significant proportion of partner and delegate income for the BRC
- Full ownership of associate membership proposition, acquisition and retention processes
- Provide regular reporting to keep the Membership Director and Exec Team abreast of commercial activities, income, profit and risks.
SKILLS & INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE:
The ideal role holder will be:
- The role holder will have proven experience of successfully nurturing and managing commercial partnerships
- Exceptional project management skills
- Experienced line manager
- Self-motivated with the ability to work autonomously, whilst still contributing to a strong team environment.
- Experience of campaign and content marketing
- Highly numerate with strong analytical skills
- Experience of working with CRM systems preferably Microsoft Dynamics, web-based email (HTML) software such as Click Dimensions and website CMS.
Our values represent the spirit and ethos of our business. They drive actions and behaviours and encompass how we go about our engagement with each other:
WELCOMING - We are open, approachable, respectful and responsive.
COLLABORATIVE - We communicate openly and work together effectively with members and colleagues.
PASSIONATE - We are proud to represent the retail industry and consistently strive to improve.
VISIONARY - We look forward, adapt, and continually seek new opportunities and ideas.
TRUSTED - We constantly deliver value to our industry and make things happen in the right way.
SALARY & PACKAGE:
- Competitive base salary, plus attractive benefits package.
- This is a permanent full-time opportunity (35 hours per week)
- This role will initially be 100% remote, until the new office opens (September 2021) and it can be used safely in light of the coronavirus pandemic. Once office working returns, there will remain the flexibility to work from home with regular travel to the office.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send your CV and covering letter, stating your current salary and notice period, to Charlotte Hughes, HR Advisor at email: email@example.com.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Monday 31st May 2021 - We will be progressing with interviews with suitable candidates ahead of this closing date.
For external applicants: if you have not received any feedback within 14 days of your application, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion. May we thank you for your interest and wish you every success in your ongoing job search.