A high profile opportunity working with the biggest UK retailers to lead our CSR work. As well as delivering our ground breaking climate action roadmap and progressive ethical labour agenda you will work on building the circular economy to make a real difference in global supply chains.
About the British Retail Consortium (BRC)
The British Retail Consortium (BRC) is the lead trade association for the retail sector, representing over 80% of sales on the high street and online. The BRC is the authoritative voice of retail, recognised for its powerful campaigning and influence within Government and as a provider of valuable retail information. The BRC works on behalf of its members to demonstrate the progressive role it plays delivering for consumers, contributing to the UK economy, and taking leadership in the supply chain to improve the conditions of workers and protecting the environment.
The BRC’s mission is to make a positive difference by advancing vibrant and consumer focused retail and to enhance global supply chain safety. We aim to achieve this by standing for what is important to the industry and working in partnerships to shape debates and influence outcomes. Key to delivering this is our Climate Action Roadmap for which this post holder is responsible.
To demonstrate the positive role our members, play in sourcing responsibly contributing to improvements in the environment and the conditions of workers in the supply chain. Key to this is effective delivery of our global leading Climate Action Roadmap, the retail industry's commitment to reach net zero by 2040. The post holder will, where appropriate, build common positions on responsible sourcing and promote the positive role our members are playing with stakeholders and Government. They will represent member views with the media, Government, and stakeholders. The post holder will manage the Sustainable Policy Adviser, identifying their key priorities, ensuring delivery of objectives, and supporting their development.
Reporting to the Director of Food and Sustainability Policy, key duties and responsibilities include:
Campaigns and Policy
- Manage and deliver our Climate Action Roadmap, a global leading initiative to deliver net zero in the UK retail industry by 2040 https://brc.org.uk/climate-roadmap/
- Manage our CSR Community, which brings together all our members to identify current issues in sustainability and ethical policy and shape appropriate outcomes.
- Help deliver a truly circular economy in the UK, including working with Governments in the UK to deliver effective waste and resources strategies.
- Develop and deliver forward-looking strategies and campaigns, working closely with members, to demonstrate UK retailers’ commitment to and represent their interests on issues relating to:
- Responsible sourcing of materials including palm oil, soya, timber, fish, wool, and cotton.
- Communication with consumers on sustainable and ethical claims
- Ethical labour both in the UK and in overseas supply chains
- Ethical trade
- Work with our membership team to demonstrate the value of our work to current and prospective members.
- Work with our learning and development team to support courses and support for retailers.
- Liaise across the Food & Sustainability Policy team and with senior colleagues to ensure that these policies are co-ordinated with all aspects of the BRC’s policy and political work on business environment, driving down business costs and delivering corporate responsibility.
- Ensure effective and relevant communications with the CSR Community through our website and email.
- Produce briefing papers, policy documents, newsletters, and other written communications.
- Make presentations to industry and stakeholder conferences and meetings, and to the media to advance the BRC’s policy objectives.
- Represent the BRC in the media as required to promote members’ positions.
- Prepare responses with members to UK Government consultations.
- Manage existing and develop new effective working relations with key stakeholders within central government so that the BRC is seen as a trusted partner.
- Identify key influencers in other business bodies and non-governmental organisations to build alliances designed to deliver pragmatic and evidence-based measures to support our key lobbying positions.
- Support the BRC CEO and Directors in working with partners in the UK to the same end.
- Work closely with colleagues in the Food & Sustainability team and the Corporate Affairs team to co-ordinate campaigns and key messages.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
- An enthusiastic, self-starter with the initiative to get to grips with BRC members’ businesses and operations and relate this to the development of appropriate opportunities for raising both the retail industry and the BRC’s profile in pursuit of its goals.
- Management skills, to develop the Sustainability Policy Adviser
- Excellent project management skills to deliver our complex change programme, the Climate Action Roadmap
- Able to demonstrate knowledge of legislation and current policy framework relating to sustainable and ethical issues.
- Able to demonstrate knowledge of current supply chain controls, including standards for sourcing and ethical labour auditing.
- Able to demonstrate the ability and credibility to work alongside senior management and to build strong relationships with the BRC’s external stakeholders, including government officials, business organisations and NGOs.
- An excellent communicator, with the ability to convey complex issues to a range of audiences, both verbally and in writing.
- A trusted and pro-active team player, supporting team colleagues in driving a culture of continuous improvement.
- Able to demonstrate integrity in dealing with confidential and sensitive information.
- Able to demonstrate organisation, administration, and time management skills.
SALARY & PACKAGE:
- Competitive base salary, plus attractive benefits package.
- This is a permanent full-time opportunity (35 hours per week)
- This role will initially be 100% remote, until our new office opens (September 2021) and can be used safely in light of the coronavirus pandemic. Once office working returns, there will remain the flexibility to work from home with regular travel to the office.
HOW TO APPLY:
The BRC has chosen to partner with Acre, who will be managing this search. If you are interested in applying for the role, please contact Tom Townsend on firstname.lastname@example.org
Diversity drives innovation and accelerates businesses and enterprises towards their missions. As such, both the BRC and Acre are wholly committed to fostering a more inclusive, sustainable future for generations to come. It is important to us that we offer equal opportunities in the recruitment processes that we run. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of their ethnicity, race, gender, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, age, marital status or whether or not they have a disability. If you require additional equipment, resources or support in order to participate in the job application or interview process, please let us know by contacting the named consultant managing this search and we will work with you to ensure that your accessibility needs are met.
For external applicants: if you have not received any feedback within 14 days of your application, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion. May we thank you for your interest and wish you every success in your ongoing job search.
Our values represent the spirit and ethos of our business. They drive actions and behaviours and encompass how we go about our engagement with each other:
WELCOMING - We are open, approachable, respectful and responsive.
COLLABORATIVE - We communicate openly and work together effectively with members and colleagues.
PASSIONATE - We are proud to represent the retail industry and consistently strive to improve.
VISIONARY - We look forward, adapt, and continually seek new opportunities and ideas.
TRUSTED - We constantly deliver value to our industry and make things happen in the right way.