Closing date for applications: February 12, 2021
The Strategic Insight Manager is a new role within the insight team, reporting to the Insight Director, and designed to both meet the increasing demands facing the business and unlock the additional potential within our existing offer. This is a hands-on role, and you will be working across our entire product set, learning to deliver our existing reporting successfully while identifying opportunities and pursuing them to completion. This role demands strong judgement, analytical and entrepreneurial leadership, and an ability to anticipate issues and lead by influencing of a multitude of internal and external stakeholders. You will be supporting the insight director in delivering the 20/21 insight strategy and helping to build out additional partnerships and data sets, increasing the value and reach of the insight offering among our core audiences.
ABOUT THE BRITISH RETAIL CONSORTIUM (BRC)
The British Retail Consortium (BRC) is the trade body for the retail sector, working with some of the UK’s most exciting companies. Our mission is simple - to make a positive difference to the industry and the customers it serves.
The BRC represent over 70% of the sector by turnover, everyone from Amazon to Aldi, Burberry to B&Q. We also work with hundreds of supporting businesses who share our mission from large tech platforms like Google to consultancies like PWC and KPMG.
Through our work, we tell the story of retail - leading the industry and shaping debates on big issues that affect us all, from climate change and modern slavery to nutrition and consumer privacy. The COVID crisis has never seen us busier, from our chief executive flanking Boris Johnson during one of the early crises press conferences, to the daily war rooms our food policy teams facilitated between the supermarkets and Government to help keep the nation fed.
What you’ll be doing:
Building out our ‘insight as a service’:
- The role holder will be tasked with improving the frequency, cadence and quality of our thought leadership and reporting. Ideally, the role holder will be a ‘full circle’ analyst, able to analyse. compose and distribute content via our online channels. This role requires working in an agile way across multiple projects and deliverables, excellent stakeholder management skills and a proven experience of successfully delivering new content and partnerships.
- Ability to quickly and effectively synthesise and publish insights to a rapid cadence, to increase frequency and quality of thought leadership and analysis. To work across multiple projects at once, and impeccable communication skills a must, both written and verbal. Media and messaging experience a plus.
- Our team manages a 900 strong insight community of insight and strategy professionals within the retail sector, this role will lead the development community offering, how our insights are marketed to retail members, private sector non-members and paying subscribers.
Supporting the commercialisation of our insight offer:
- The insight team generate income via data subscriptions, webinars and content partnerships. The ideal role holder will ideally have had client facing experience in a commercial environment and understand how insight is commercialised.
- The candidate should be able to identify and cost opportunities, experience working with retailers and suppliers to retail, particularly in the insight and analytics space and identifying value chain between them
- Excellent communication skills are a must, the candidate must be able to confidently (and quickly) build out and deliver presentations for partners and associates, create compelling narratives from existing data and talk confidently about retail sector performance.
Telling the story of retail through analysis:
Ideally, the candidate will have worked in a retail or retail adjacent sector or moved very quickly up the ranks of another sector consultancy or insight agency. A knowledge of, or interest in, macro-economics is an advantage. Media experience beneficial but not required, opportunities to appear on television and radio available for the right candidate.
Delivering our reporting
The candidate should have enough analytical acumen to deliver existing reporting and answer ad hoc member queries on sales, footfall, etc. This requires excel skills, experience in secondary research and/or survey design/delivery. Strong attention to detail an advantage.
Skills & industry experience
The Strategic Insight Manager should have:
- Proven commercial acumen: an entrepreneurial mindset, experience as a finance or industry analyst, or consultancy background. A proven ability to deliver commercial value to an organisation and the ability to communicate this value.
- The ability to quickly synthesise and articulate original analysis to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal: competent at delivering webinars, presentations, events and managing multiple external partner/supplier relationships.
- Have proven ability to manage their time effectively, work with little direction and to guide others in delivering market analysis.
- (preferred) Have strong quantitative analysis skills, familiar with econometrics and forecasting techniques.
- (preferred) Have a degree level qualification in economics, finance, analytics or a related subject with ideally 5 years’ experience in a similar role.
Additional personal attributes
- Knowledgeable of the retail industry and the mechanics behind retail performance.
- A decent knowledge of economics and the macro-economic drivers that influence retail.
- Be a creative, lateral thinker.
- Be a strong team player; selfless in their approach to helping their fellow team-members solve any challenges that may arise.
- Personable and approachable; able to reach desirable outcomes with challenging stakeholders, and complex projects.
- Be quick to learn and flexible; able to grasp new issues and shape solutions appropriate to resource and time constraints and the goals of stakeholders.
Our values represent the spirit and ethos of our business. They drive actions and behaviours and encompass how we go about our engagement with each other:
We are open, approachable, respectful and responsive.
We communicate openly and work together effectively with members and colleagues.
We are proud to represent the retail industry and consistently strive to improve.
We look forward, adapt, and continually seek new opportunities and ideas.
We constantly deliver value to our industry and make things happen in the right way.
We Continually Provide Value Together
Salary and package
- Competitive base salary, plus attractive benefits package.
- This is a permanent full-time opportunity (35 hours per week). This role is currently home-based due to Covid19. When restrictions allow the role will be London based with the flexibility to work from home for some of the time.
How to apply
Please send your CV and covering letter, stating your current salary and notice period to Charlotte Hughes at email: email@example.com
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Friday 12th February 2021
For external applicants: if you have not received any feedback within 14 days of your application, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion. May we thank you for your interest and wish you every success in your ongoing job search.