There are a number of national and international initiatives designed to support greenhouse gas data embedding. Below are a subset of these that might be of value to retailers and their suppliers.
- Greenhouse Gas Protocol – Developed by the World Resources Institute (WRI) and World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD), the Greenhouse Gas Protocol produces global greenhouse gas accounting standards to guide businesses in measurement and reporting of emissions.
- Science-Based Targets initiative (SBTi) – The most prominent framework for setting science-based targets, the SBTi is a partnership developed by CDP, WRI, UN Global Compact and WWF, in alignment with Greenhouse Gas Protocol accounting methods.
- Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) – A not-for-profit organisation, CDP runs the global environmental disclosure system. It supports companies in measuring and understanding climate impacts.
- Gold Standard – Carbon removal and offset certifier, the Gold Standard sets requirements maximising positive climate impacts of offsetting projects, and providing credible offset opportunities for businesses.
- Exponential Roadmap Initiative (ERI) – Collaborative initiative bringing together “technology innovators, scientists, companies and NGOs such as Future Earth, WWF, Ericsson, Sitra Innovation Fund, Stockholm Resilience Centre, Mission 2020, KTH, Royal Institute of Technology, Internet of Planet, with many supporting partners.” The ERI’s 1.5C Business Playbook provides strategy guidance for businesses.
- B Corp Climate Colllective – B Corp is a business collective aimed at embedding social and environmental responsibility in businesses. The B Corp Climate Collective is a group of B Corps working together to meet climate targets, with over 700 pledging to meet a 2030 net zero target.
- Cool Farm Alliance – An industry platform for development and implementation of sustainable agriculture metrics. This includes the Cool Farm Tool, an online calculator helping farmers to calculate their carbon, water and biodiversity footprints.