There are a number of initiatives designed to help customers and employees live low-carbon lifestyles. Highlighted below are a selection of these that are of particular value to retailers and their suppliers.
- WRAP: Initiatives to support decarbonisation, circularity and waste reduction including:
• WRAP - Love Food Hate Waste: WRAP’s campaign provides useful resources that retailers and their suppliers can use to design their approach to minimising food waste and to communicate with customers.
• WRAP - Love Your Clothes: The WRAP ‘Love Your Clothes’ campaign aims to raise awareness of the value of clothes and encourage people to make the most of the clothes they already have.
- Carbon Trust - Carbon Footprint Labels: A series of product carbon footprint labels designed to help customers understand the carbon footprint of products.
- On Pack Recycling Labels: The On-Pack Recycling Label delivers a simple, UK-wide, consistent recycling message for use on both retailer private label and brand-owner packaging.
- WWF: Initiatives to support sustainable diets including:
• WWF Livewell Plate: WWF’s work on sustainable diets that looks at the dietary changes needed to keep temperature rise below 2°
• WWF Plant Based Diets: A science-based platform to help people understand how plant based diets can reduce negative impacts of the food system.
- UN - Fashion Industry Charter for Climate Change: A fashion industry programme, coordinated by the UN, that is working to identify ways in which the broader textile, clothing and fashion industry can move towards an holistic commitment to climate action. To become signatories to the charter, members commit to collaboratively deliver the principles in the charter, including setting a decarbonisation pathway drawing on the Science Based Targets initiative methodologies.
- EAT: A science based platform for food system transformation that works in partnership with companies.
- Ellen Macarthur Foundation: A foundation supporting the transition to a circular economy. It enables sharing of information and best practices through its member network.
- Champions 12.3: A coalition of executives committed to inspiring action to reduce food waste.
- EV100: An initiative aimed at accelerating the transition to electric vehicles.
- Count Us In: An initiative to mobilise 1 billion citizens to act on climate change by taking and logging simple emission reduction steps.