In 2016, we set out a vision for Better Jobs, with an aspiration for retail to be a leader in diversity and inclusion (D&I).
More recently, through our HR Community and in partnership with The MBS Group and PwC, we surveyed over 200 retailers large and small to better understand both executive-level D&I and the perceptions of the wider workforce. Responding to the insights from this research, we have created a D&I Charter, focusing on oversight, recruitment, progression, reporting, inclusivity and responsibility. Approaching 70 companies have already pledged to adhere to this charter as they strive to challenge culture and biases where prevalent and embed D&I into every aspect of their business, with more joining all the time.
BRC D&I CHARTER
- Our CEO will be accountable for Diversity and Inclusion in our business and will appoint an Executive with ownership for D&I
- We will ensure there is no bias in the recruitment process and will Undertake a transparent process of audit
- We will take positive action that supports open career opportunity and progression and will undertake a transparent process of audit
- We commit to Contributing data on our diversity in the workplace which will feed in to the BRC Better Jobs dashboard
- We commit to create a respectful, inclusive work environment within which every employee has the opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to the company’s vision and values
- We believe supporting equity in the workplace is the responsibility of all line managers